16 New Street
Constructed in the 1730s, 16 New Street is undoubtedly the finest remaining Georgian town house in St Helier and, as such, presents a wonderful example of the elegant architectural style and fashions of 18th century Jersey.
16 New Street began its life as part of a speculative development initiated by the Durrell family. With its fine panelled interiors and detailing, the house epitomised early Georgian taste. However, by 1812 architectural fashions had changed, and the new owners of the house, the Journeaux family, initiated an extensive refurbishment programme to reflect the new Regency style. This involved the replacement of all the windows at the front of the house, along with window sills and door casings, the truncation of the roof, and the installation of a fine marble fire surround in the drawing room.
As a result of the bankruptcy of Phillipe Journeaux in 1850, the property was acquired by the firm of A. de Gruchy & Co. It then became a letting house before being taken on by the Liberty Gentlemen’s Club. The Club removed partitions on the first floor of the house in order to install their billiard tables. When the Liberty Gentlemen’s Club departed in 1909, the Jersey Young Man’s Christian Association (YMCA) moved in, removing further partition walls for their snooker and table tennis tables.
When the YMCA left in 1964, de Gruchy’s established their curtain and blind manufacturing workshop on the ground and first floors, using the top floor for storage. The workshop operated until the late 1970s and the building became a surplus storage area. For the next twenty years the house was neglected and gradually decayed until the parapet gutters gave way.
16 New Street is located in the heart of St. Helier, beside De Gruchy’s Department store and opposite St Paul’s Church, and is best accessed on foot. There is no car parking available on site, but parking is available in and around the town centre. 16 New Street is now under ownership of the National Trust for Jersey.